What actually makes a mattress the best mattress and why we need to look out for top reviews and buying guides for having a comfortable sleep? That’s because,only a good night’s sleep governs how you feel for the rest of the day. When you think about it, you spend a significant portion of your life sleeping, but only a few choose to think twice about equipping oneself with accessories and products that may allow them to enjoy a peaceful slumber. One such item is a mattress.
Even though you might not think a mattress to be a major purchase, it certainly is. This product not only plays a part in the type of sleep you will have, but if chosen correctly, it can allow you to experience relief from back pain. Moreover, since mattresses are quite expensive and last for years to come, it is integral for you to decide wisely.
Mattress is the thing that you daydream about on your way back from work. After a long and tiring day, your bed and the mattress that lays on top of it are the two items you can’t wait to get back to.While you may think of your mattress as simply a case full of foam, it serves to be more complex than that.
A mattress is a pad which supports your body when you sleep. The various layers that different mattresses have contribute to ensuring that you have a peaceful sleep. These layers can include a memory foam, innerspring, support foam and high-density foam.When these different layers combine, you are provided with a comfortable yet firm place to enjoy your rest. Symbolically, a mattress is a sanctuary from the tiring and hectic life that you lead.
What to Look for in a Mattress?
Since a long and peaceful sleep governs your health, logic tells you that you should take measures to guarantee you sleep comfortably. One of these measures is equipping yourself with a high-quality mattress. Hence, never make the mistake of choosing just any product. Instead, analyze each of your potential purchases with regards to various factors including the following.
- Flexibility: Rigid mattresses are the worst thing that can happen to your back. One of the key things you should look for in the mattress of your choice is the flexibility of the foam. Make sure that the foam you choose adapts to your body and, hence, helps relieve pressure and aches when sleeping. This feature is commonly found in memory foams.
- Support: When talking about mattresses, support refers to the product’s ability to push back and guarantee that your spine alignment remains at an ideal position. Theoretically, this may seem painful since it paints an image of a highly firm mattress in your mind. However, support and comfort are not antithetical. All you need to do is make sure that the mattress you pick does not sag where it is not supposed to, i.e., your spinal area.
- Temperature: Some mattresses offer an excellent air circulation system, while others tend to retain heat. If you sleep hot, you would want your mattress to be such that it aids in the flow of air and ensures that you do not sweat when sleeping.
- Motion Transfer: You wouldn’t want to wake up every time your partner moves, would you? The mattress you use can control this feeling of discomfort. Many products available offer the feature of zero or minimal motion transfer, which ensures that whenever you or your partner moves, the other person does not feel a thing.
- Edge Support: Imagine sitting on the edge of your bed only to find yourself caving into the frame. Those of you who have witnessed such a scenario in real life have come face to face with mattresses that have poor edge support. A high-quality product is one that not only provides enhanced support in the center but does not sink in the edges as well.
- Comfort: At the end of a long day, the only thing that keeps you going is the thought of a comfortable sleep. This is impossible if your mattress is not comfortable to begin with. Therefore, consider how relaxing a mattress feels to your body before you buy it.
- Firmness: Different products have varying levels of firmness. Which one serves to be best for you will depend on your own preferences. Possible options available are soft, medium and firm. The characteristics of each of these choices will vary regarding how the mattress will feel when you lie on it. Make sure you find the correct balance between your need of comfort and firmness.
- Layers: A mattress can have as few as one and as many as four layers. Each layer will add something to the equation. For example, some products will have a base foam, a support layer, a memory foam layer and a high-density foam layer. Together, these layers will provide you with support, firmness and comfort. It is always better to opt for a mattress which has more than one layer. Then again, it comes down to your preferences.
How to Choose the Best Mattress?
Selecting the perfect mattress is no easy feat. There are many factors that you need to consider and various intricacies that you should be aware of. In this mattress guide, we will be telling you exactly how to approach the purchase decision.
Choosing Your Mattress Type
One of the first things you should know about a mattress is that it is an umbrella term under which various kinds of products can be found. Each of these types has its own sets of advantages. At the end of the day, the best mattress for you will be based entirely on your preferences.
The first and utmost important thing you are required to do is to choose the type of bed you want for yourself. Here are some of the options you can choose from.
While a memory foam tends to be ideal for older people since it is equipped with motion transfer, these mattresses provide comfortable sleep to all. The distinct feature of memory foam mattresses is their ability to adapt to the body shape of the user. This feature helps the product deliver enhanced comfort to the user.
Why Should You Choose a Memory Foam?
- It relieves back pain and soreness.
- Since a memory foam is made from a material which is temperature-sensitive, the mattress adapts to the body temperature of the user.
- A memory foam mattress uses polyurethane in its construction which plays a role in preventing allergens from settling in. Hence, it is ideal for those who suffer from allergies.
- It assists in proper spinal alignment and, thereby, allows you to enjoy the perfect sleeping position.
For those who find a memory foam mattress not to be their cup of tea, they will find the latex mattress to be a suitable alternate option. The Consumer Reports ratings of the latex mattress have been high, and the product is known to provide comfort to users.
While some of these mattresses provide plushness, others help combat pain relief. With such varying types of features provided by a latex mattress, the product can satisfy the masses regarding both cost and function.
Why Should You Choose a Latex Mattress?
- It is resistant to mold and bacteria and, therefore, is likely to last long.
- Latex mattresses are breathable and are bound to keep your body temperature low.
- The lack of motion transmission makes the bed perfect to be used when sleeping with a partner.
- It is highly affordable and offers products in all kinds of price ranges to deliver to the masses.
An inflatable mattress may be the ideal solution to temporary sleeping problems. Every time you go to stay over at a friend’s house or go camping, such mattresses will prove to be quick and convenient products. These mattresses are available in sizes ranging from twin to king. Such a variety in size allows the air bed to cater to all age groups.
Why Should You Choose an Air Bed?
- You can vary the firmness and softness as per your liking. This customization provides users with control.
- The fact that you can have one side of the mattress to be softer than the other means you and your partner can both enjoy your desired level of comfort.
- Since it uses PVC material, rest assured that you will not have to worry about odors.
- Regardless of how great a product is, it tends to sag, but the air bed does not do so.
- The price is meager.
Your baby deserves the best type of mattress just as much as you do. After all, a child spends more time sleeping than staying awake. Crib mattresses can be further divided with foam, organic and innerspring. When choosing a crib mattress, make sure you pick one which is waterproof so that it doesn’t get ruined when your baby wets the sheets.
Why Should You Choose a Crib?
- A foam crib mattress is lightweight and can be easily folded. Both these features help the product be portable, which every parent looks for.
- A coil crib mattress is durable. It is likely that your baby will be the one to outgrow it.
- An organic crib is made out of natural materials and, therefore, will not expose your child to harm.
Before memory and latex foams raged into the mattress niche, spring mattress used to be the most popular of all. It has still managed to remain firm on its position. This mattress contains three layers including support, comfort and fabric layer. Each of these layers plays a role in providing comfort and support to the users.
Why Should You Choose a Spring Mattress?
- This type of mattress is available at a low price.
- Since it has been on the market for many years, there are many customer reviews available online which will allow you to make an informed decision.
- It is likely to last long due to the use of a high-quality material in its construction.
- Spring mattresses provide improved circulation and, therefore, do not let the body heat accumulate.
As the name suggests, a hybrid mattress contains the features of both latex and memory foam. These mattresses are available in both cheap and high quality. While the low quality functions as a Bonnell formation, the premium priced products contain additional layers and enhanced design for comfort.
Why Should You Choose a Hybrid?
- It will provide you with the bouncy feel you are accustomed to through the traditional mattress.
- It conforms to your body shape just like a memory foam.
- It is available at varying prices.
This mattress uses a mixture of memory foam and bamboo to offer users a healthy yet comfortable place to snooze. This mattress aids in fighting against spinal issues as well as shoulder sprains. You might wonder, what role does bamboo play in this mattress? Well, the bamboo included helps combat allergens as well as aids in breath-ability.
Why Should You Choose Bamboo?
- Since it is equipped with a memory foam, it features all of its benefits.
- The mattress has an extra layer which provides support and comfort to users.
- The product has no chemical saturation and is, therefore, good for your health.
- The material of the product is such that it does not lose its shape and firmness.
This mattress guide will be incomplete if we do not include a type of mattress that provides added value to the users.
If you are looking for portability in your mattress, you might want to step away from traditional products and choose a foldable mattress. These mattresses are versatile and can be stored and transported efficiently. At a minimum, such products have two panels.
Some products which are worthy of mention here are:
- Lucid Foam
- D&D Futon Furniture
- Magshion Futon Furniture
- Sprouts Kids Bamboo
- Milliard Memory
This type of mattress manages to be soft and firm at the same time. It also plays a role in distributing the weight of your body evenly across the mattress to relieve pain. Moreover, it helps you correct your posture which serves to be an integral part of anyone’s personality.
Why Should You Choose an Orthopedic Mattress?
- The thick mattress has an affordable price.
- It is ideal for older people who have arthritis and other bone diseases since it serves to correct spinal alignment and offers comfort.
- This mattress is robust and can last for years without losing its shape.
Mattress Size Matters
Another decision you would want to take is regarding the size of the mattress. While choosing the type of product you want is important, at the end of the day, your comfort also depends on the size you choose. After all, what good is a mattress if it doesn’t give you enough room to stretch?
What size will be perfect for you depends on the size of your bed. You can’t expect to have a twin size mattress on a king size bed, can you? Here are a few questions you should ask yourself when choosing the size of your bed and, hence, your mattress:
- Will you have enough space to stretch? Yes? Go for it. No? Next.
- Can you afford the desired size mattress? If so, don’t waste another second.
- Do you sleep with a partner? If you do, then a large mattress is ideal for you since it will allow you and your partner enough space to sleep without getting too hot.
Mattress Types by Sizes
Regardless of how small or how big your bed frame is, there will be a mattress out there in the market that will fit perfectly in it. It is integral for you to pick the right size to avoid perusing return policies of brands later on. There are five types of mattresses that you can choose from.
- Toddler: As the name suggests, this mattress is ideal for the crib of your baby. You can also use the product on its own rather than adding it to a bed frame. When isolated, a toddler size mattress can be placed in the playing room to provide your infant with a secure area to have fun.
- Twin: This mattress is made to be used by one person and, therefore, will be ideal for the singletons out there. Moreover, it will be an apt addition to your children’s rooms as it can be used on twin beds and bunk beds.
- Large: A large mattress can be placed on a double bed or used without a bed frame in the master bed room. Generally, large-sized mattresses come with more than one layer and keep the customer’s need for comfort in mind.
- Queen: For some of us, portability is a valued feature, even in a mattress. For those of you who wish for a product which is easy to move from one place to another will find a queen size mattress to be an excellent product. This product is made for beds which are smaller than large and king beds. Up to two people can enjoy queen mattresses, which serve to be an excellent choice for small rooms.
- King: For those of you who have immensely large rooms or spaces and have similar-sized bed frames, king mattresses are the products for you. This product can easily accommodate four people. Many brands offer an array of features like memory foams, zero motion transfer and customized firmness in king mattresses.
Key in choosing the ideal mattress
One of the things you need to consider when choosing the ideal mattress for you and your family is your way of life. When you think of lifestyle, your mind wanders to the clothes you wear or the food you eat. However, it is more than that. It also includes your style of sleeping.
Types of Mattress For Every Kind of Sleeper
Different mattresses are perfect for different types of sleepers. While some may prefer to sleep on their side, others find themselves sleeping on their stomach when they wake up.
Mattress for Side Sleepers
Mattress for Side Sleepers
If you sleep on your side, you should opt for memory foam mattresses that are accompanied by a soft cover. Such a mattress is bound to provide you with more pressure relief than latex. The best way to choose the ideal mattress? Lie down and see whether it is comfortable.
Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Sleeping facing down tends to make your body feel hot. When you are already in a vulnerable position regarding heat retention, choosing a memory foam is out of the question. This is because one of the flaws of most memory foams is that they tend to get hot. You should rather go with a latex or spring mattress since both these options will allow you to sleep cool.
Mattress for Back Sleepers
Mattress for Back Sleepers
Sleeping face up is something that most of us do. This position requires a mattress that can support your spine alignment as well as provide you with comfort. The hard thing about choosing a mattress for such sleepers is that it all comes down to preference. Your perception of comfort is going to be quite different from mine. Therefore, the only way you can select a mattress is by lying down on it and deciding for yourself. You might end up choosing any of the types mentioned above.
Mattress for Hot Sleepers
Mattress for Hot Sleepers
Some people tend to get very hot when they sleep. Whatever science is behind it, the fact is that sleeping hot is very uncomfortable. You don’t want to feel the constant body heat seeping into the mattress and making it hot too. At such a time, a mattress with latex or a density foam will be perfect for you. Additionally, make sure the cover you choose is removable so that it can be regularly washed or it may start to dissipate an odor.
Best Types of Mattress for Heavy People
Different people have different needs. For those of you who are overweight and wish for a mattress that will provide you with the ultimate comfort, here are some types of mattresses you might find to be satisfactory.
- Memory Foam – This foam will provide users with the support needed and relieve pressure points, hence ensuring enhanced comfort.
- Latex – Heavy individuals have the tendency to sleep hot. This is where latex might be of help. A latex mattress is equipped with excellent breathability and is bouncy like a spring mattress.
- Hybrid – For those who wish for the benefits of both inner spring, memory and latex will find a hybrid mattress to be the perfect solution. Heavy individuals will find these products to have excellent edge support and bounciness all packed in one.
Best Type of Mattress for Back Pain Relief
For those of you who suffer from back pain, choosing the right mattress can change your life. The kind of mattress that has managed to relieve back aches of many is a memory foam mattress.This is because these mattresses can contour to the body shape and, hence, provide comfort where it is needed while supporting the spine alignment.While different people will have varying preferences, if you have back pain, make sure you choose a mattress which has a medium firmness yet is soft.
Mattress for those who Share a Bed with Someone!
Sharing a bed with a partner is not all sunshine and roses. Rather, it may be quite annoying, especially if your partner has a habit of tossing and turning at night.
Why? This is because many mattresses in the market tend to transfer the motion throughout the mattress.
What to do When You Disagree on the Best Mattress with Your Partner?
While you may be compatible on paper, that does not mean you and your partner will always have the same preferences. One such preference is the type of features you want in a mattress. For example, maybe you like to sleep in a cool bed while your partner prefers one which retains heat.
Eco-friendly, Antimicrobial And Dust Resistant Mattresses
Living with allergies is a nightmare, especially if you are allergic to the dust and allergens that accumulate on a mattress. Thankfully, there are beds available which tend to be antimicrobial.
Moreover, some of the products are resistant to dust mites, which are a primary reason for allergies in individuals. Such mattresses are either latex or memory foam. Hence, make sure you pick them. Also, you can choose eco-friendly options as they are a healthy choice as well.
Still Unsure of What Type of Mattress should You Prefer?
Recommended Budget For Buying a Mattress – Set Limits & No need to go broke to Sleep Well!
You can’t progress any further in the decision without setting a budget and sticking to it. Every purchase requires money, and departing from your hard-earned savings may seem like a sacrifice. So, the question arises, how much are you willing to sacrifice?
Since mattresses, in general, are expensive, it is vital to set a limit to your expenditure so that you don’t end up spending too much.Moreover, since you will quickly find mattresses from low to high prices, if you don’t set a limit, you will have too many options to choose from. While such a scenario may feel like a good thing, we are here to tell you that there is nothing more torturous than having too many choices.
Being Brand-Conscious Is a Good Thing While Looking for a Durable Mattress!
You will meet a lot of people who will give you the side eye if you ever rave about a brand. Being brand-conscious may seem like a pretentious thing to some, but when it comes to mattresses, it is preferred that you are.As these products are available at high prices and are to be used for at least a decade, you need to choose your mattress carefully. However, there is no better credibility regarding durability and quality than being backed by a sound brand or manufacturer.
Best Mattress Reviews 2017:
Are you feeling overwhelmed by the decision of choosing the best mattress? Do you feel tired just by thinking about the number of items you will have to sift through before you find your ideal match?Don’t worry. In this mattress guide, we are here to provide you with all the help that we can. That includes giving you the best mattress reviews so that you can make a better decision than the one you would if you were left to your own devices.
This gel memory foam mattress manages to satisfy users with its premium performance and excellent customer service. The product is equipped with a one-year trial period. Such an extended trial period is unheard of and, therefore, plays a part in attracting customers.
The eleven-inch foam consists of four layers which include a memory foam for enhanced adaptability, semi-open dense foam for breath-ability, and a high core memory foam for better support.
Are you a side sleeper? Do you wake up every day with a sore neck? You can avoid such painful experiences by investing in the Layla mattress. The design of the product includes a copper-infused memory foam which will allow you to bid goodbye to the pain you experience.
The copper contained in the construction aids in better blood circulation as well as provides a fresh platform for you to sleep on.
Nolah has succeeded in delivering a mattress which has been well-received by customers everywhere due to its ability to prevent neck pain. This bed in a box mattress is accompanied by a pressure relief technology as well as layers of Avena and polyurethane foam. These layers allow the mattress to be bouncy and comfortable.
Due to its ability to combat pain and adapt to its user’s body posture, this bed is highly recommended for those who sleep on either their side or their back.
This mattress includes an array of features and technology which makes it an ideal place for athletes to recharge after a long, tiring day. The graphite gel memory foam included in the mattress succeeds in being seven times cooler than other mattresses available in the market.
When you combine this feature with the Celliant technology offered, you are likely to be satisfied with the performance of the product. The client technology lets the mattress retain the required heat while maintaining a constant air flow.
Sealy Cocoon Mattress
Sealy Cocoon Mattress
This brand has managed to leave its mark on the mattress industry in a short time through its superior quality products.One of the unique features of this product is its zero motion transfer.
While many mattresses claim that they do not transfer motion, only a few can deliver on this claim, and Sealy Cocoon mattress is one such product.
For those of you who are experiencing budget problems, Qomfort Mattress will prove to be a budget-friendly option amongst other products mentioned in the best mattress reviews.
Qomfort manages to bring two ends of a spectrum together by offering both affordability and quality. It contains a gel-infused memory foam which is both breathable and adaptable to your body.
Aviya offers you a spring hybrid mattress which comes with three softness options for you to select from. This feature gives customers the deciding power.
The three-layer mattress contains a high-density foam which vows to provide clients with a comfortable sleep.
Avocado Gwen Mattress
Avocado Gwen Mattress
All of us owe it to the earth as well as the generations to come to protect the environment. We do not own this world. Hence, we should all be environmentally friendly. This can begin by choosing products, including mattresses, which are eco-friendly.
Avocado is one such latex mattress which is made up of natural material. As it does not use any adhesive material, it is better for the environment as well as your health.
Leesa Bed Mattress
Leesa Bed Mattress
Few mattresses offer both excellent performance and aesthetics, and the Leesa mattress succeeds in delivering both.
By including the Avena foam in its construction, Leesa has been able to fight against the flaws of memory foam mattresses. This is because the Avena mattress sleeps cold and does not retain heat like most memory foams.
This is a hybrid mattress which contains both latex and memory foam. Therefore, you can expect to benefit from features of both kinds of mattresses. The top layer of the mattress is made from latex, while the bottom one has memory foam.
In these best mattress reviews, the Nectar mattress has managed to come out on top. This is because not only does it offer similar benefits to other products mentioned, but a lifetime warranty also accompanies it. There can be no better credibility to its durability than this.
If you don’t want a memory foam mattress, you might find the Ghostbed mattress to be an excellent choice.
From Where Can I Buy a Mattress with a Good Deal?
Now that you are aware of the considerations that go into purchasing a mattress as well as the types of options you can pick from, the next question that should pop into your mind is, how you can lay your hands on quality mattresses? Here are the places you need to visit, either virtually or physically, to bag excellent deals.
- Online Stores:Rather than visiting a variety of shops, you can access all kinds of mattresses with immense ease with the help of the many online stores available. On the flip side, you won’t be able to assess the mattresses physically.
- Franchises: The only way to guarantee that you are provided with 100% real and branded mattress is to purchase the product from known franchises rather than relying on third parties. You can also avail coupons and discounts if you are lucky.
- Retail Outlets:If you can’t locate a franchise near you and want to inspect the mattress you buy, you can always opt for retail shops. Just make sure they provide the warranty if such a feature comes with the product. Do your research first.
- Manufacturing Factories: Now, this might be a little hard to access, but you can also buy your product directly from the manufacturing plants. Some products available allow for such operation and purchases. You might also get the mattress at a lower rate than you would have from a retail outlet.
While this mattress buying guide has provided you with all the tips and reviews available about the products, at the end of the day, it is up to you to decide which mattress you want to go for.
Make sure you pick the best option from the sea of mattresses. You deserve a good night’s sleep. Don’t let a poorly thought-out decision ruin your slumber. Your health depends on it. No pressure, though.